Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2015

3 bean salad

This is one of my Grandma Gert's recipes, and a favorite for picnics. Perfect for keeping on hand during the summer months to serve as a topping for a green salad or alone as it is.

2/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup good salad oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed.
4 cans of assorted beans-drained ( I know it says 3 beans but... well don't ask)
1 medium onion-sliced thin or Frenched
1/2 cup green pepper-sliced ( for me this is optional, I don't really care for raw green pepper)

Mix all together, chill for 6 hours.

This bean salad lasts a long time in the fridge, because of the vinegar, oil and sugar it has a pickling effect so bacteria or mold will not grow. Sorta like a refrigerator pickle. Double the recipe and add all the beans from the list below to be super festive, remember it keeps very well and just gets better.

Beans I like the best are green (string) beans, black-eyed peas, garbanzos, butter (lima) beans, great northern beans and Kidney beans. beans need to be packed in water so no chili seasoned beans here, and I give the beans a light rinse with cold water when draining.

No comments: